A Whole New World

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Here's number ten in my Disney Princess GIF series!

A Whole New World
Jasmine animated GIF

I had the toughest time thinking of how to portray Jasmine for my GIF. In fact, here's the first sketch side-by-side with an unfinished color blocking guide:



Initially I drew her sitting by the fountain in the middle of the night, stroking one of her pet birds. The large trees in the background and the water falling from the fountain (those straight lines on the right) act as an imagery for her imprisonment, while the bit of sky peeking above the trees symbolize what little she has freedom.

However I wasn't satisfied with this first version. With Jasmine being such an independent--and sassy!--girl, I decided to draw her far away from the confines of the Palace, taking one last look at her old life before she goes off to explore the world. The clouds are also shaped in a way that's a bit similar to the tip of Jafar's beard to symbolize the looming dominance he has over the kingdom.

Anyway I do hope you enjoyed this little insight into how I design my Princess GIFs! One of the things I learned in my CGMA class is to put symbols, stories, and meaning in your illustrations, and I want to do more of that in my work.

More GIFs will be coming within the week so keep checking this blog or follow me on my social media accounts on the right to stay updated!

See my previous Disney Princess GIFs here:
Rapunzel | Merida | Belle | Ariel | Pocahontas | Aurora | Cinderella | Mulan | Anna and Elsa


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram @JecaMartinezArt